A trusty pair of denim cutoffs are a timeless Texas staple. With the summer heatwave still going strong, this classic is as versatile as it is comfortable, wedgies notwithstanding. We may associate these shorts with country girls like Britney Spears (innovator of the 'pockets hanging down below shorts' look), Jessica Simpson and their namesake, Daisy Duke, but that doesn't mean they can't be dressed up for a night on the town.
Who says jean shorts can’t be fancy? We scoured Instagram for the ultimate #ootd inspiration from models and style bloggers for guidance on how to make our daisy dukes ready for dinner and drinks.
1. Focus on accessories. A simple tee worn with cutoffs gets a fashion-friendly upgrade with bold accessories like statement jewelry or a printed clutch—or even a funky hat.
2. Go silky to soften. Pull off a more feminine, slightly higher-end look by pairing shorts with a lace or silk top—and don't forget the cool-girl sunglasses, as seen on model Emily Ratajkowski.
3. Pair with menswear-inspired pieces. Borrowing from the boys is a trend that will never fade—just ask style blogger Julie Sariñana. Styling a structured blazer, fitted button-down or tux-inspired shirt provides an ironic balance with your short shorts.
4. Add some edge. Style blogger Chiara Ferragni knows chunky flatforms, a printed bomber or a leather moto jacket instantly add a touch of edge when styled with denim cutoffs.
5. Keep it sleek and sexy. Flats of some sort, sneakers included, typically come to mind when wearing denim cutoffs. If you’re feeling sexy the next time you slip on your jean shorts, take notes from supermodel Chanel Iman add a pair of sleek thigh-high boots instead.