Can you believe we're almost done with January? February looms with a football game and that day for couples, but before we get there here's this week's news:
- Harlem Road Texas BBQ is open for business and, judging from the lines, people are way excited about it. Always love the confidence of a place that says they close when they sell out of meat. (H/T Houston Press)
- Just a reminder: One Pot Showdown weekend is here, so if you're competing on Sunday you better be ready. Best of luck to all involved.
- A new coffee shop has landed in the East End. Giant Leap Coffee is serving up hot and cold coffee options, along with tea, beer, pastries, tacos and more. They also have an adorable coffee cup/spaceship mashup logo, to go along with their space theme.
- The East End is also getting a new chicken spot. Peruvian chef Roberto Castre returns to Houston with Chicken Station, serving up Peruvian-style rotisserie chicken. There's no official date set for the opening. (H/T Eater Houston)
- Weights + Measures reopened on the 20th after being sidelined temporarily due to a fire.
- If you're one of the many who keep an eye out for the Ripe Cuisine food truck as you cruise the city, you'll be happy to find out they'll be getting some permanent digs. Ripe will be part of the Heights Waterworks redevelopment. (H/T Eater Houston)
- Fielding's Rooster recently launched their new lunch/dinner and brunch seasonal menus. Highlights include a 44 Farms Cheeseburger, chicken fried steak and a French toast stack, although I find their new spicy mac 'n' cheese to be the most intriguing. Biscuit crust? You have my attention, Fielding's.
- Just Desserts 2018 took place last week, and you should check out the list of winners. Girl Scout Cookie season is the best.