Would you believe me if I told you we're on pace for the first really nice weekend of the year in Houston? I'm sure there are fancy scientific reasons to explain this, but I'm choosing to believe it's because Mother Nature enjoys the smooth sounds of Leon Bridges. In any case, here's what you need to know about Houston food this week:
- After over a year of not being the head of a kitchen in Houston, Richard Knight has a new home. As reported by Houston Food Finder, Knight will be stepping into the kitchen at Harold’s in the Heights. According to Knight, you can expect new dishes hitting the menu in a few weeks.
- Starting March 11, King’s BierHaus will be in the brunch game, serving up dishes like the Hangover Sandwich, Royal French Toast, and King's Benedict.
- After a big celebration on Wednesday night, The Harp is closed, but only temporarily. According to chron.com, owner Declan Plunkett has sold The Harp to Revelry on Richmond owner Ted Baker, who plans to have The Harp open again in time for St. Patrick’s Day.
- I had the chance to visit the new Shake Shack in Rice Village to answer the burning question on my mind and yours: what would be the special menu item unique to that location? It's called the West U-nicorn concrete: Vanilla custard with Fluff Bake Bar unicorn bait cookie dough, strawberry puree and salted caramel sauce. It is a busy treat with a lot of flavors battling it out, but I’m always happy to have more unicorn bait in my life.
- More West U related news: Pizza Motus: Roman Inspired Cucina is heading to the neighborhood in early summer 2018. At 6119 Edloe St. they’ll be serving up Roman-style pizza, described in a press release as being “light and airy in the center with a crisp bottom and a moist, flavorful top— the totality of which produces something akin to a savory and crispy pizza cloud.” A pizza cloud is something I had never considered before, but color me interested.
- Take 5 Oil Change is looking to make new friends in the Houston market with a series of food truck events in March. “Take 5 Food Truck Fridays” will take place at different Take 5 locations throughout the month, kicking off tomorrow with Mr. Sizzles setting up at 1823 Richmond Ave. and The Waffle Bus serving up at 1405 FM1092 Rd from 5-7 p.m. in Missouri City. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for more info on future Food Truck Fridays.
- Starting March 3, Goode Company Armadillo Palace will have new Saturday hours of operation. Now opening at noon, you’ll be able to get your lunch fix over there if you so desire.
- You might think that dropping $150,000 on wine is either silly or a dream come true, depending on your feelings about the drink. Start saving your pennies now and one day you might able able to get the best of the best wine during the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner. $150,000 is how much the group purchasing this year’s top wine spent on the J. Lohr Vineyards' Signature Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles, 2014 that was named the Grand Champion Best of Show.