During a recent visit to Houston, esteemed chef Jacques Pepin and his daughter Claudine conducted a private cooking demonstration and luncheon at Amalfi debuting recipes from Pépin’s 2015 cookbook, Jacques Pépin, Heart & Soul in the Kitchen. Playful Pépin first showed guests how to create a rose made out of butter, then joked, “And you can charge $45 for this, I think.” He then moved on to demonstrating, among other things, six different elaborate preparation and plating techniques for gravlax. Pépin and his daughter then posed for photos and chatted with those in attendance. He was also gracious enough to laugh when a certain Houstonia food writer told him, she, too, loves apricot jam. “It’s true,” Claudine laughed, “He puts it on everything.”
Although the event was a private affair hosted by accomplished home cook and Pépin fan Jim Lee and his wife Amy Lee in celebration of Jim’s birthday, the public has the opportunity to join in the fun tomorrow, May 15 at 6:30 p.m. at Amalfi.
Executive Chef Giancarlo Ferrara will be recreating Pépin’s dishes from his cookbook, paired with Italian wines, during a special dinner. Pépin’s demonstration will also be screened during the event so diners can enjoy their own master class from the chef. Tickets are $95 per person. Reservations are required. A limited number of signed copies of Pépin’s cookbook will be available for purchase.
The menu is as follows:
- Shrimp burgers on zucchini
- Instant gravlax with cream cheese and horseradish sauce
- Wine pairing: Prosecco Caposaldo
- Tuna à la Minute
- White wine pairing: Bonfante & Chiarle Roero Arneis DOCG "Bataja"
- Tagliatelle cacio e pepe con pancetta affumicata
- Red wine pairing: Bonfante & Chiarle Barbera d'Asti DOCG Superiore "Gessara" 2011
- Sautéed duck breast with arugula salad and cracklings
- Red wine pairing: Bonfante & Chiarle Barbaresco DOCG "Molinaia" 2010
- Beef filet mini steaks with wild mushrooms and summer black truffle
- Red wine pairing: Bonfante & Chiarle Barolo DOCG "Bisù" 2011
- Lemon mousseline