If you're on the road this holiday weekend, remember the basics: wear a seatbelt, keep your eyes on the road, and don't drink and drive. Stay hydrated if you're outside more than five minutes. Should we be worrying about Invest 90L? Probably not, but it never hurts to keep an eye on the tropics this time of year. Don't be like me, the guy who flew home from Indiana the Monday before Harvey who had no idea there might be a storm headed our way. True story. On to the news.
- Ready for another lobster roll in your life? East Hampton Sandwich Co. opens next Thursday in River Oaks at 4444 Westheimer. We liked what they were serving at their pop-up back in March, and we’re looking forward to checking out what the Dallas-based chain will be serving on a regular basis. They’ll be open for dinner service on the 31st, and breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the 1st. Don’t be afraid to wear your flip-flops.
- Houston’s Taste of the Nation raised some serious cash on Tuesday night. The final total: $150,776. That money will go a long way through the No Kids Hungry campaign. If you didn’t make it out, that’s a shame because it was a really wonderful evening. As a sugar dork, my highlights were Fluff Bake Bar’s chocolate/hazelnut/passion fruit treat served on a wooden spoon. I also enjoyed the reminder that I need to make it out to Michael’s Cookie Jar and Tiny’s Milk and Cookies again soon.
- Nobu is now taking reservations, which means Nobu is almost here. There are, as of this writing, some sporadic spots available in their first few days of service if you’re willing to do a bit of searching. Check for later in the evening, and best of luck to you.
- June 1 is going to be a big day for Izakaya. They’ve got a new menu to go along with their new look, including a dumpling bar. They’ve also added some new ramen options as they’ve got a renewed focus on the dish.
- Starting Monday, Ooh La La is starting something they call Macaron Mondays. From Memorial Day until Labor Day, pop in on Mondays and get macarons for a dollar each. Now, before you prepare to clean out your savings account, know that you’re limited to a dozen macarons per week. Do macarons help with a case of the Mondays? Find out this summer.
- Tomorrow is National Brown Bag Day because every day is a holiday. Want to celebrate? Everyone who heads to Ouisie’s Table for lunch or dinner will get an Ouisie’s brown bag, containing a pear-shaped sugar cookie and a truffle. This makes sense given their roots as the Traveling Brown Bag Lunch Company.
- Burgerim is setting up shop at the corner of Shepherd and Richmond. The fast-casual chain already has a few outposts in the area, and if you like having a bunch of burger options this place will be right up your alley. With three buns, five sauces, 10 patties, and nine toppings, there’s a lot of room for customization, or analysis paralysis.
- Here’s some food for thought: I got an email this week informing me that the most popular cheese in Texas is Muenster. You can check out the link to find out how they came to this particular conclusion, but given the lack of the word “queso” anywhere on that page, I do have some questions about their data gathering.