Does autumn roll around and you instantly turn into Martha Stewart, busting out the cornucopia, the decorative gourds, and compiling a haystack on the front porch where you'll set up a broomstick witch and bat/rat/crow display surrounded by 10,000 pumpkins of various shapes and sizes because you're so woke to the autumnal vibes you've already switched out your Glade plug-in to Rich Pumpkin Dream scent and are currently streaming Hocus Pocus on repeat until November 1 rolls around?
Then you’ll be happy to know that Cornelius Nursery, the Houston garden center that first opened in 1937 and today is run by DFW-based Calloway's Nurseries, is hosting a family-friendly Pumpkin Fest on Saturday, September 29 with free activities from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
It's perfect chance to find a very special pumpkin, or several, for carving with the family. Here’s what else is in store:
- Arts & crafts: Decorate a pie pumpkin or create your own pumpkin face paper plate.
- Pansy planting: Take home your own four-inch fall flower.
- Mad Science interactive demos like “Give Us A Hand!”, a liquid to solid chemistry experiment, and “Dry Icecapades!” where air is trapped and released from bubbles
- Harvest games: Ring around the pumpkin toss
- Pumpkin patch photo booth with props and accessories
- Costumed characters: Superheroes, princesses and more
- Giveaways: Guess the weight of a big pumpkin for the chance to win a gift card.
- Seasonal treats: Complimentary popcorn
You can also reserve a spot in the pumpkin decorating workshop for $50— each participant gets a premium pumpkin, embellishments and decorator ribbon to design and assemble a centerpiece that will put all your mf-ing decorative gourd friends to absolute shame.
Expect a wide selection of pumpkins, gourds, squash, scarecrows, autumn flowers —pansies, mums, et a.l —and fall décor for purchase as well.
Cornelius Nursery is located at 2233 South Voss Road and online at corneliusnurseries.com.