Art lovers will tell you that their favorite pieces are the ones that forever speak to them because they’ve met the artist, heard their story and saw the artist’s passion for the work up-close-and-personal. What sets the Sawyer Yards Spring Biannual Art Show and Sale apart from other major art events is the experience of being in an artist’s private studio –seeing their creative space and being surrounded by work that expresses the artist’s ideas and inspirations.
When the 350 artists at Sawyer Yards open their studio doors on April 27 for the annual Spring Biannual, the experience is about more than just perusing artwork on the walls. You’re likely to see some artists at work, whether it’s a jeweler hammering metal for a bracelet or a painter enjoying the energy of onlookers while putting the finishing touches on a piece. Choosing artwork is about a personal connection to the piece or the artist’s ideas, and the Spring Biannual invites those lively conversations about artistic process and inspiration, providing a behind-the-scenes look at what makes Sawyer Yards Houston’s creative heart.
The Spring Biannual is one of the largest annual events hosted by the artists at Sawyer Yards, meaning there’s lots to do and see that evening. Here’s how to make the most out of exploring one of the nation’s largest working creative communities:
- There are five studio buildings filled with art! Silver Street Studios, The Silos at Sawyer Yards and Winter Street Studios are located on the Main Yard, but it’s important to not forget the studios a few blocks to the north – Sabine Street Studios and Spring Street Studios – for continued art shopping in North Yard.
- Use the event shuttle to see more studios. Designated shuttles run continuously around campus throughout the evening. Look for tents and signage designating each stop. If the shuttle isn’t there when you walk up, don’t fret! Volunteers will provide real-time updates on arrival times. A handy map will help guide you.
- Uber or Lyft is a good idea. The Spring Biannual is a popular event, so remove the stress of finding a place to park by using a ride-share option.
- Talk to the artists! If you have a question about a piece of art or want to know more about an artist’s work, don’t hesitate to ask. If you find an artist you love, always sign up for their email newsletter or take a business card with you so you can easily find your way back during Second Saturday open studios.
- Purchase a piece of art, support local artists! Not only are you supporting the artist when you purchase their work, a portion of proceeds from sales during the Spring Biannual will be donated to the Glassell School of Art for a student scholarship to support the continued development of local artists.
Whether you’re a seasoned collector or new to the art-buying world, remember that Sawyer Yards has lots to offer including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, glass, mosaic, photography, mixed media or jewelry. Whatever your style, budget or level of art-buying experience, there’s something for everyone!
Click here for more information on participating artists, day-of event details and to preview artwork available at the Spring Biannual.