On Saturday, May 5, 2018 guests filled the Heritage Hangar for the 2018 "Flights of Fancy" gala celebrating five new inductees into the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame. The Museum’s marvelous flying collection of historically significant aircraft provided a stunning backdrop to the event and guests were treated to unlimited access to the Museum’s STEM-focused galleries and exhibits, including the simulator bay of the $1 million, high-tech Aviation Learning Center (the second in the U.S.). The museum’s new 130,000 square foot facility at Ellington Airport opened September 2017
Guests joined the Lone Star Flight Museum’s Board of Directors & Gala Co-Chairs Diane & Steve Biegel and Lisa & Russell Sherrill for an unforgettable evening which included aerialists who dropped from 53-foot silk ropes as they entered the arrival hall and continued to dazzle in the hangars before Mistress of Ceremonies, Dominique Sachse, KPRC anchor, took command of the evening. Dinner was followed by the 2018 Texas Aviation Hall of Fame induction ceremony and auction, which was one for the books – raising $700,000 in support of the Museum’s mission to preserve, educate and inspire aviators young and old alike.
Chairman of the Texas Historical Commission John Nau and Commission Member Daisy White conducted the induction ceremony for the five new members of the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame. Each inductee or a representative was presented with a medallion & eagle sculpture. LSFM President & CEO Douglas H. Owens, Lieutenant General (retired) presented the Tom Gregory Family with the Museum’s third Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Azellia White – accepted in person (still spry at 104 years old!)
- Braniff Brothers – accepted by Mr. Mike Braniff, grandson of Paul Braniff
- Jim Lovell – accepted by Mr. Jeff Lovell, son of Jim Lovell
- Sam Johnson – accepted by Buzz Aldrin, Astronaut and Congressman Johnson’s former flight leader
- Noel Parrish – accepted by Ira Gruber, Professor Emeritus, Rice University (Gen. Parrish’s alma mater) and friend of Gen. Parrish