All candidates must possess a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company. Internship positions are unpaid, with college credit opportunities. Typically, internships last 3 to 6 months.
We hire editorial interns on a rotating basis throughout the year and are constantly on the hunt for bright, diligent, and ambitious applicants.
We train but expect our interns to hit the ground running. Duties include fact-checking articles, assisting editors with research and reporting, and blogging; all interns are paid a base rate of $20 per blog post. We expect and encourage interns to be a part of the team by contributing their own ideas, attending meetings, and getting to know the editorial staff.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, responsible, well-read, curious, and knowledgeable about the city. You must be a current student at the time of the internship. Some students complete internships with Houstonia for college credit.
While we try to be flexible with student schedules during the academic year, the internship requires a firm commitment of 20 hours per week.
Start and end dates vary with the needs and flexibility of the magazine, but generally we hire new interns three times per year (Spring, Summer, Fall). Please note in your cover letter for which term you are applying and your availability to work during the week.
To apply, send the cover letter, a résumé with references, and three (3) writing samples to:
Catherine Matusow, Editor-In-Chief
No phone calls, please.
Event Marketing Internships
Houstonia is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion.
Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
The ideal candidate would:
- Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing and communications.
- Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Be detail-oriented, VERY ORGANIZED, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
- Comfortable on the phone, and interacting in social situations.
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests.
- Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events.
- Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses.
- Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs, must be 21 at time of internship to apply.
The events marketing internship requires a commitment of a 15-20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
Fall 2018 applications are due by July 15. Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to:
Laura Tracy, Marketing & Events Manager
No phone calls, please.