Mother’s Day is this Sunday, and if you don’t already have reservations somewhere, I wish you luck and short waits at the place you end up visiting for brunch. Here’s what’s going on in Houston:
- If you’re looking to make Mother’s Day extra fancy this weekend, or you just want to indulge in some food-based self-care, Lady M Confections, based in New York City, will be in town for a pop-up that brings their mille crêpe cakes to Houston for the first time. You’ll find them over at the Galleria in front of Nordstrom Saturday and Sunday. You can order one in advance online or swing by to grab a slice.
- Don’t feel weird if you had no idea that UB Preserv is open for business. Chris Shepherd’s evolution of Underbelly quietly opened up for business on Tuesday. UB Preserv’s hours are 5–10 p.m. Tuesday–Thursday, 5–11 p.m. Friday–Saturday, and 11 a.m.–4 p.m. for a dim sum-style brunch.
- You’ll get your chance to check out Poitín, the latest concept from Ian Tucker of Balls Out Burger, on Monday. Located at Sawyer Yards (2313 Edwards St.), Poitín is a full-service restaurant and bar, with a globally inspired menu and great views. “Just as the City of Houston opens its doors to immigrants from around the world, Poitín welcomes all-comers. As an immigrant myself, I have been embraced by the Houston community and have envisioned this restaurant to be a culinary embodiment of the city’s inclusive spirit,” Tucker said in a statement.
- When Whole Foods Market 365 opens up in Independence Heights later this summer, a familiar face will be coming with it: Peli Peli Kitchen. Whole Foods Market 365 will be located at 101 North Loop West and will be the second 365 store in the state.
- Not sure what to do after you catch the Astros take on the Rangers this weekend? Bring your ticket with you and drop into one of three Little Woodrow’s Houston locations (Eado, Shepherd, and Midtown) and get $3.50 pints of Bud Light.
- There are only two dad jokes I remember my father telling me as a child, and one of them is about a snail with a fancy sports car. That is forever what I’ll think of when escargot comes up, as it did recently when I got an email about National Escargot Day over at Bistro Provence. If you’ve missed their snail pizza, they’re bringing it back on May 24.
- Pluckers is opening up a new location in Cypress on Monday, marking their fourth location in the Houston area.