Every year the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo hosts an International Wine Competition, a food and wine tasting event, and a wine auction as part of Rodeo Uncorked! to highlight wine production in agriculture. Winners from the 2018 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition were announced in mid-November 2017 — just in time for holiday wine shopping!
The 2018 International Wine Competition judging included a record 3,188 entries from 18 different countries, including Argentina, Austria, Chile, France, Italy, Japan, Portugal and South Africa. The 2018 featured region, Northern Spain — specifically the wine growing regions of Rioja, Navarra, Priorat, Ribera de Duero, Rueda, Rias Baixas, Valdeorras and Cava — received 212 entries. Texas wineries represented 420 entries.
If you enjoy red wine, try a glass of the 2018 Grand Champion Best of Show from J. Lohr Vineyards: Signature Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles, 2014. If white wines are your preference, you may enjoy the 2018 Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show — Ram's Gate Chardonnay, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, 2013. No matter your favorite type of wine, the Competition featured winners ranging from red and white to sweet and sparkling, and there is something for everyone on your holiday guest list!
The 2018 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition champions are:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – J. Lohr Vineyards Signature Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles, 2014
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Ram's Gate Chardonnay, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, 2013
- Top Texas Wine – Llano Estacado Viviano Cabernet Sauvignon-Sangiovese, Texas, 2015
- Top Sparkling Wine – Beau Joie Brut Rosé, Champagne AOC, NV
- Top White Wine – Dr. Loosen Riesling Spätlese, Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Mosel, 2015
- Top Red Wine – Ram's Gate Pinot Noir, Gap's Crown Vineyard, Sonoma Coast, 2013
- Top Region Wine – Ramon Bilbao Gran Reserva, Rioja DOCa, 2009
- Top Sweet Wine – Inniskillin Vidal Icewine, Niagara Penninsula VQA, 2015
- Top Value Wine – McManis Family Vineyards Petite Sirah, California, 2016
- Top All-Around Winery – J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines
- Top Region Wine Company – Europvin USA
- Top Wine Company – Constellation Brands, Inc.
- Top Texas Winery – Bending Branch Winery
For a complete list of winning wines, visit rodeohouston.com/wine.
Visitors to the 2018 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Feb. 27 – March 18, can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the glass or bottle in the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza at NRG Park.