In early 2011, the organizers of Austin’s relatively brand-new Modern Home Tour took their event to Houston. The idea was, and remains today, simple: to provide a day for local architects, designers, and builders to showcase their residential work directly to the community; and to provide the community a day to explore some of their area’s most impressive modern homes and engage the creative minds behind designs.
“When you are an architect or builder of homes, you rarely get to showcase your amazing work and skill to the public,” says Ken Shallcross, Vice President of The Modern Architecture + Design Society and tour organizer. “You can be so proud of something you put so much effort into, but unfortunately, the only ones who really get to enjoy or even see it are the lucky few who live there, and maybe their close friends and family. Once a year, our event gives everyone else a chance to admire and appreciate these incredible modern homes and give them the attention and praise they deserve.”
On March 28th, the Houston Modern Home Tour returns to celebrate 10 years of modern architecture and design exploration. A decade after first arriving, the 2020 event, sponsored by BEC Engineers and Consultants, continues to highlight a new selection of local homes that embody Eastern Texas’s unique modern aesthetic. Some tourgoers come in search of an architect or home builder to work with on their next project; some come with hope of finding a little inspiration for their own DIY project; others come just for the love and appreciation of all things modern. Whatever the motivations may be, all tour-goers get a first-hand look at Houston’s finest modern homes and the rare chance to ask questions.
“The Houston Modern Home Tour is our second-longest-running tour, and it is one of the main pillars of the entire Modern Home Tour series,” says Shallcross. “A lot of our favorite and most frequent participants are returning in 2020. We’re so excited to celebrate this 10th anniversary milestone, and we hope everyone will come out to tour the homes, meet the architects, and get inspired.”
Since 2011, the Houston Modern Home Tour has featured 71 homes that showcased the work of dozens of local architects, builders, and designers. More than 5,700 people have attended the first nine Modern Home Tours. While the curating process is ongoing for the 10th anniversary Houston Modern Home Tour, confirmed participants include:
- A modern home on a small Montrose lot designed by 2Scale Architects and filled with amazing artwork that gives the home a true life of its own
- A modern home elevated several feet because it is located in the flood plain of the Braeswood Place neighborhood, designed by studioMET
- A home designed by On Point Custom Homes in the Boulevard Oaks neighborhood that is not only modern, but also ADA compliant
- A smart and efficient LEED-certified prefab construction home, designed by Intexure Architects + Boxprefab (who have participated in nine of the first 10 Houston Modern Home Tours!), located in the Rice Military neighborhood
- A modern home designed by Scott Ballard in the Upper Kirby neighborhood that features a roof deck with jacuzzi and outdoor kitchen
- A brand-new, high-end modern home in River Oaks that sports a floating spiral staircase and European garden courtyard, designed by refuGe Design Studio and built by Fifty Seventh + 7th by Carnegie Homes
- A second modern home from studioMET that just completed construction in the Montrose neighborhood and features a perfect outdoor living space for Houston summers
Retuning this year as volunteer support and beneficiary is University of Houston’s chapter of American Institute of Architecture Students. Budding young architects will help staff the event, in return for a donation to the school’s program and the opportunity to use the tour as a fundraising vehicle, while also contributing volunteer hours and making connections in their field.
The 10th anniversary Houston Modern Home Tour is presented by BEC Engineers and Consultants and hosted by the Modern Architecture + Design Society. Participating homes will open their doors for viewing for one day only: Saturday, March 28, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets to see all homes are $40 in advance; $50 day of. Ages 10 and up are welcome. For details, photos, and tickets, visit www.houstonmodernhometour.com