After Elvis Presley’s death in 1977, one Las Vegas wedding chapel owner decided to turn hers into the first King of Rock ‘n’ Roll-dedicated wedding venue, Graceland Wedding Chapel.
Thus, those campy, pastel-colored, obtuse Vegas chapels with jaunty Elvis officiants were born, and elopement wedding ceremonies and celebrity impersonators have pretty much been synonymous ever since.
In our neck of the woods, however, it only seems right that our elopement wedding ceremony includes a local celeb of our own—the Queen of Tejano, Selena Quintanilla … well, obviously not the real Selena, but rather Texas City native Amanda Solis and her Selena tribute act.
It won’t take much for you to see the uncanny resemblance between Solis and Selena, but just wait until she sings. Solis packs all the magic into her performance, which’ll make you believe you’re actually watching Selena herself. We’re talking the iconic purple jumpsuit look, the “Selena spins,” the powerful Ranchera voice, the joie de vivre—all of it.
Solis truly does try to perform true to how Selena did, noting that one of her favorite songs to sing at a wedding is “Que Creías,” “which is a song about a man who does the girl wrong and he expects her to just take him back,” Solis tells Houstonia.
“I try my best to perform that song as Selena did,” she continues. “I first ask the family to help me choose a man from the crowd to sing to who needs to learn to act right; The family immediately starts yelling names—it’s so funny … the family interaction is so great and then the guys are super fun to see so vulnerable and embarrassed when I pull them around.”
When you hire Solis for your wedding, expect a party, just like Selena would’ve wanted.
“I love to bring all the families together and get them all on the dance floor and just dance and sing the night away,” Solis says.
Prices vary, more information at amandasolismusic.com.
Which impersonator is right for you?
- Which song would they sing? “Love on Top”
- What type of wedding style? You’re putting a ring on it, so why not have Queen Bey, or Queen Ty, rather, help you celebrate?
- Where can you find them? tyoncemoore.blogspot.com/p/booking-info.html
- Cost? Packages start at $75
- Which song would they sing? "Always on My Mind"
- What type of wedding? Stoner Cowboy—we’re not telling you to get stoned, but Willie might.
- Where can you find them? www.williefortuneswillienelsontributeshow.com/home.html
- Cost? Prices vary.
Houston’s Own Elvis
- Which song would they sing? “Love Me Tender”
- What type of wedding? There aren’t many—if any—of those gaudy, Vegas-style, Elvis-dedicated wedding chapels in Houston (to our knowledge), however Houston’s own Elvis can help you bring a little slice of that kitschiness to your Bayou City nuptials.
- Where can you find them? www.houstonelvis.com
- Cost? Packages start at $300.
- Which song would they sing? “If I Could Turn Back Time”
- What type of wedding? The Goddess of Pop never shies away from a groovy time, and that’s why if you want an entertaining dance party, this is the choice for you.
- Where can you find them? www.gigsalad.com/lana_blake_houston
- Cost? Prices vary.