Parfaits are one of my favorite ways to use leftover ingredients, whether they be cake, custard, or whipped cream. This week, after making a few pound cakes, I had enough cake and apples to make more than a few trifles.
Here, the addition of bourbon and topping of a sweet and spicy pumpkin whipped cream add more than enough flavor to warrant the lack of a custard here. Besides, who wants to stand over a hot stove stirring custard while our days are still long and hot?
APPLE Pumpkin trifles
- Apple Cinnamon Pound cake (recipe here)
- 2 grannysmith apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Cut the apple cinnamon pumpkin cake into 1 inch squares. Place a single layer in a jar.
- Top with chopped apples and drizzle a little bourbon on top.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar while whipping, and continue until stiff peaks form. Fold in the cinnamon and pumpkin puree.
- Top the apple layer with some whipped cream. Repeat with another layer of cake, apples, bourbon, and whipped cream. Repeat until you reach the top of the container.
- Store in the refrigerator.