In early 2011, the organizers of Austin’s relatively brand-new Modern Home Tour took their event to Houston. The idea was then, and remains today, simple: provide a day for local architects, designers, and builders to showcase their residential work directly to the community, and provide the community a day to explore some of their area’s most impressive modern homes and engage the creative minds behind the designs.
Unfortunately for MA+DS and Houston, 2020 had something else in store: an unprecedented global pandemic. The original 10th anniversary event planned for late March was postponed to summer, and then put on indefinite hold when the virus surged in Texas in June. Throughout the US, the pandemic has put a stop to a lot of things Americans love: casual shopping, dining in at restaurants, crowded opening nights for theatrical blockbusters, large parties, and especially live events! The name of the game for many small businesses in 2020 has been “adapt or close,” and the MA+DS team has found a way to keep their signature Modern Home Tour series alive.
The rescheduled 10th annual Houston Modern Home Tour will take place on Sunday, November 1, 2020, and will be 100% virtual! This one-of-a-kind event will take attendees all around Houston and showcase some of the amazing modern architecture and designs the city has to offer. The only difference this year: attendees will take the tour from the safety and comfort of their home and have the ability to revisit (or catch up on) any segments they missed after the tour ends.
“We are very fortunate to have found a solution to keep hosting our ‘live’ events during these unprecedented times,” explains MA+DS founder James Leasure. “We can explore the homes as a group and present the architect/builder/designer’s story, while keeping all participants, homeowners, and tourgoers safe.”
A curated selection of Houston homes will be showcased using 3D imaging, while the MA+DS host and project architect (or designer, or builder) discuss the details of the project. Questions will be answered, and plenty of expert advice and tips shared. The event honors Houston’s amazing architecture and those who bring it to life year after year.
Confirmed Houston Modern Home Tour participants
- A modern home designed by Scott Ballard that features a roof deck with jacuzzi and outdoor kitchen
- A home designed by On Point Custom Homes that is not only modern, but also ADA compliant
- A smart and efficient LEED-certified prefab construction home, designed by Intexure Architects + Boxprefab
- A second home by Intexure Architects, fully custom built
- Architect Al Espinal’s (Espinal Architects) home, which combines modern architecture with casual interior design
- A new home by Gary R Chandler Architecture & Interiors, which combines modern design with elegant decor
How it works
- Tickets can be purchased here: houstonmodernhometour.com.
- Tourgoers will receive an access link with unique passcode prior to the event.
- On event day, tourgoers can participate LIVE by watching the segments and asking the architects/builders/designers questions, or …
- Segments can be watched (or rewatched) at a more convenient time after the event.
“The added bonus with doing a virtual tour is that tourgoers interested in seeing the homes do not have to block a full day off on their schedule,” says Leasure. “Likewise, those who live far away don’t have to travel. We like to think of this as a LIVE TV show that you have the option to watch DVR-style at a later time.”
The 10th anniversary Houston Modern Home Tour is presented by BEC Engineers and Consultants and sponsored by RAM Windows. Segments will run throughout the day on Sunday, November 1, 2020; a full schedule is posted on the event page. Tickets are just $40 per device and grant access to the taped segments after the live event ends.