Whether you shake your fist at traffic or lose your voice whooping in support, the Chevron Houston Marathon, the largest single-day sporting event in the city, will take over the streets and sidewalks for much of Sunday morning.
As our friends over at Space City Weather point out, this weekend will be, uh, a tad nippy with a light freeze likely for early Sunday morning and projected highs in the 50s—a notable reprieve from last year's balmy temperatures in the 70s. The best news: an "utter absence of rain"—so leave those umbrellas behind.
This all bodes well for the expected 250,000 spectators, granted they bring hand warmers. The biggest party will be downtown, where the race commences at 7 a.m., but organizers have also compiled a list of favorite fan locations around the course (we compiled our own favorites—including brunch spots—here). Although, if the idea of watching people embark upon a Herculean feat of athleticism while cuddled in bed sounds more fun, know the race will be covered live via ABC-13.
While you can find detailed information on marathon-related road closures (including neighborhood-specific guides) here, a good rule of thumb is to rely on highways whenever possible. All roads are expected to re-open by 2 p.m. Sunday. What follows are the streets affected by the race:
- Congress from Crawford to Smith
- Smith from Congress to Franklin
- Franklin from Smith to Washington
- Washington from Congress to Waugh
- Heights/Waugh (southbound) from Washington to West Gray
- West Gray/Inwood from Waugh to Kirby
- Kirby (northbound) from Inwood to San Felipe
- Kirby (southbound) from San Felipe to Bissonnet
- Bissonnet from Kirby to Montrose
- Mandell (southbound) from Bissonnet to Sunset
- Sunset from Mandell to Rice Blvd.
- Rice Blvd from Sunset to Greenbriar
- Greenbriar from Rice Blvd. to University Blvd.
- University Blvd. from Greenbriar to Weslayan
(from University to Bissonnet
- Weslayan (northbound) from Bissonnet to Westpark
- Westpark from Weslayan to S. Rice Blvd. (all lanes closed except one westbound lane from Newcastle to 610/59 northbound feeder road
- Loop 610 feeder (southbound) from Richmond to Westpark
- Post Oak Blvd. (northbound) from Richmond to San Felipe
- San Felipe (westbound) from Post Oak Blvd. to Tanglewood Rd.
- Tanglewood Rd. (northbound) from San Felipe to Chimney Rock Rd.
- Chimney Rock Rd. (northbound) from Tanglewood to Woodway Dr.
- Chimney Rock Rd. (southbound) from Woodway Dr. to Memorial Dr.
- Memorial Dr. (westbound) from Chimney Rock Rd. to Loop 610
- Memorial Dr. (eastbound) from Loop 610 to Shepherd
- Shepherd (all lanes under overpass) from Memorial Dr. to Allen Parkway
- Allen Parkway from Shepherd to Bagby
- Dallas from Allen Parkway to Bagby
- Bagby from Dallas to Lamar
- Lamar from Bagby to Avenida de las Americas
- Avenida de las Americas from Polk to Rusk