If you're into Houston-set movies
- Dive into: Richard Linklater’s Oscar-winning film Boyhood.
- And ponder: Modern Texan childhood, adolescent wonder, high school football, and casual alcoholism.
- While drinking: A Lone Star tallboy.
If you're into Houston sports
- Dive into: Game 7 of the 2017 World Series.
- And ponder: The magic we felt when the Astros went all the way right after a devastating hurricane flooded the city, before the baseball road got, um, rockier.
- While drinking: An 8th Wonder Dome Faux’m.
If you're into Houston food
- Dive into: The Bayou City edition of Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown.
- And ponder: Bourdain’s amazingly vivid tour of Houston’s multicultural food culture as he discovers the city’s rich spirit before passing away in 2018.
- While drinking: A Negroni.
If you're into Houston music
- Dive into: ZZ Top: That Little Ol’ Band from Texas on Netflix.
- And ponder: How the enlightening documentary captures the band’s musty blues-rock magic while sharing the story of an un-bearded, unsung hero, drummer Frank Beard.
- While drinking: A shot of Pura Vida tequila.
If you're into Houston-set true crime
- Dive into: The Clueston: True Crime in Houston, Texas podcast.
- And ponder: Some of the most lurid cases in H-Town history, brought to you by local crime buff Kat Adams and, on occasion, her husband, lawyer Charles “Big Angry” Adams. [Or check out the 12 crimes that changed Houston forever.]
- While drinking: A margarita.
If you're into Houston history
- Dive into: Blood and Money by Thomas Thompson.
- And ponder: The downright salacious murder trial of Dr. John Hill, which enthralled Houston in the early 1970s.
- While drinking: A martini.
If you're into Houston-set literature
- Dive into: Bryan Washington’s short-story collection, Lot.
- And ponder: The author's humid vision of all the ecosystems that coexist within Houston’s sprawl, sometimes separated by just a handful of blocks.
- While drinking: A cocktail in a pouch.