Nothing says autumn in Houston like cooling down on the lawn of your favorite outdoor venue. Discovery Green recently announced their Fall 2021 program schedule and it's jam-packed with free jazz concerts, fitness activities and the return of the park’s outdoor film series, Screen on the Green.
“We want to give Houstonians experiences that help them explore the city’s culture, foods, art, music and the people who make this place such a fascinating place to live,” says Barry Mandel, President of the Discovery Green Conservancy.
This season, which runs from Sept. 1 to Nov. 11, 2021, ushers in monthly meditation courses, weekend kayak rides on Kinder Lake and music workshops for kids every Sunday.
Special event highlights of the season include:
- Shop for vintage and handmade gifts at Flea by Night, an open-air market featuring small businesses and artisans from all over Houston on Saturday, Sept. 18 from 6-10 pm.
- Screenings of spooky classic, "Hocus Pocus" (PG) on Friday, Sept. 24 at 8 pm plus Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” (PG) on Saturday, Oct. 16 at 8 pm.
- Rising star and HSPVA graduate Marcos Varela will open a special performance by activist and singer Mavis Staples on Friday, Oct. 15 at 6:30 pm.
- In partnership with Emancipation Park and Buffalo Bayou Park, Jazzy Sundays will kick off free jazz concerts.
- Mix and mingle with thirteen Houston artists who were invited to create murals that celebrate the city’s cultural diversity and natural environment on Thursday, Oct. 21, 7-9 pm
- Gather the whole family and put on your costumes for a Halloween screening of Beetlejuice on Saturday, Oct. 30, 6-10 pm.
For a complete list of events and updates on possible cancellations due to COVID-19, visit https://www.discoverygreen.com/.