Fit to Print
Here Comes the Rain: Houston Food News This Week
Goodnight Hospitality is making moves in Montrose.
If you've got an odd feeling in your stomach as you look at the forecast for the next few days, I promise you're not alone. The rain is coming, and there's nothing much we can do but adjust our outdoor plans accordingly. Keep your umbrellas close, be safe out on the roads, and don't be the guy yelling "Freebird!" at the Slayer show on Sunday night. No one likes that guy. Here's this week's news:
- Goodnight Hospitality has some big plans for Montrose. Earlier this week they announced three new concepts they’re opening up: Montrose Cheese and Wine, which will feature a rotating selection of 12-15 cheeses; Rosie Cannonball, which will have a menu centered around its wood-burning grill and oven; and March, an intimate, 28-seat restaurant, with a focus on Mediterranean cuisine. All three spots will be located on Westheimer: 1618, 1620, and 1624, respectively.
- Want to treat yourself at the end of the work week this month? Fridays in June, from 5:45—10 p.m., Brennan’s of Houston is offering up Chef Joe’s steak frites to help kick off the weekend. For $32 you’ll get a 16 oz. bone-in strip topped with truffle butter served with house-rendered duck fat french fries. Let me be the first to tell you: you’re worth it.
- Do you have $130 to spend and a desire for all the seafood you can handle? Liberty Kitchen & Oysterette and Liberty Kitchen at the Treehouse are both offering up a new seafood tower dubbed the Sea Monster, which comes with a half pound of Alaskan king crab, Main lobster, Jonah crab claws, blue crab fingers, sea scallop tiradito, Hawaiian tuna poke, shrimp cocktail, Gulf oysters, top neck clams, and LK signature hot smoked salmon. Good luck slaying this beast.
- Studio Movie Grill announced some new additions to their menu this week. At the top of the list is heirloom tomato avocado toast, to the surprise of no one in the year 2018. Other additions include a line of bento boxes and bowls, a pretzel-wrapped hot dog, and dill spice gourmet popcorn. Just try to eat quietly, there’s a movie going on.
- If you’re not feeling the creative spirit to design your own cupcake, Crave has something different you might want to check out, as long as you’re rolling eight to 10 deep. The Giant is a massive new offering that comes in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and red velvet flavors, and is big enough to feed a small army or one extremely, extremely dedicated cupcake fanatic.
- Grub Burger Bar recently announced two new locations in the Houston area. One will be at 10403 Katy Freeway, taking over the space that used to house Jerry Built Homegrown Burgers, while the other will be part of the Katy Green development, off I-10 at Greenhouse Road.
- Treebeards is still in a celebratory mood, and they’re looking to help you beat the summer heat while they’re at it. Starting June 21, they’ll be offering up their salads at 40 percent off, including their pear, walnut and bleu cheese salad, shrimp salad, watermelon and tomato salad and more. This deal lasts through June 29, valid at all Treebeards locations.