Folks, we've made it to october. For most of the country that means crisp, chilly weather has returned, leaves will begin showing bursting oranges and yellows, and plenty of sweatshirts. We won't have any of that, of course, but it's nice to think about. (What's a sweatshirt?)
But us Houstonians can still have fun this fall. All it takes is a nice cup of pumpkin spice drink and a bite of pumpkin. There are places to get them! Here's a sampling of who's doing pumpkin-flavored food and drinks this year.
- The Roastery—at its three current locations at H-E-Bs in Bellaire, the Heights, and on San Felipe—is serving up a pumpkin spice latte that's made with pumpkin pie syrup, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla. And it comes with a miniature pumpkin spice donut, because it really isn't enough to just have the beverage.
- The same holds true at EggHaus Gourmet, which is brewing up pumpkin spice lattes. Each one is decorated with a cute mini pumpkin. (Please don't try to carve it.) I'm not exactly sure how the latte would pair with, say, a matcha croissant, but you won't know until you try.
- Nothing says fall quite like the smell of freshly baked bread (and nothing says winter quite like trying to work out all the bread you've eaten). So if you want that bread, Crave Cupcakes is ready for you. Get pumpkin loaves, along with cupcakes and lattes, at all locations of the Houston-based bakery.
- Montrose's Café Poêtes, which is now doing lunch and dinner, has rolled out its own pumpkin spice lattes for the fall. Pair it with a light, airy pumpkin spice choux pastry. Later in the season, look for a hot mulled latte to be served.
- Seasons 52 has added a pumpkin pie to its dessert menu of mini indulgences: smaller mousse-and-cake desserts fit into serving glasses. The pumpkin pie mini includes pumpkin mousse, pumpkin cake, whipped cream, and gingersnap.
- If you're looking to combine your love of fall with your love of The Golden Girls, Bellagreen has a sweet dessert of caramel pumpkin cheesecake, which is served with vanilla ice cream and chocolate trellis.