And bingo was the game-o! It’s been a rough year for everyone, but why not liven things up with some civically minded fun and games?
Some fun (facts):
- While most of the focus has been on President Donald Trump and Vice President Joe Biden, there are actually 1,218 presidential candidates (as of October 12) in the United States, according to Ballotpedia. However there are only four on the ballot in Texas.
- On the last day of early voting, seven polling locations across Houston will be open for 36 hours straight.
- In late August, the National Basketball Association announced a plan to allow arenas to be used as polling locations. According to NPR, this was part of a deal with the players union to resume playoff games after athletes staged walkouts in protest of the death of Jacob Blake in August.
- Early voting in Texas started a week earlier this year because of the pandemic.
- Vice President Joe Biden has written two memoirs. President Donald Trump has written more than 15.
- Political cartoonist Thomas Nast is credited with cementing the party symbols we recognize today (you know, the elephant and the donkey) after he featured them in a Harper’s Weekly magazine cartoon in 1874.
- In 1997, Texas passed a law allowing American astronauts to cast their ballots from space in federal elections.
- While running for the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1758, George Washington spent his entire campaign budget (50 pounds) on 160 gallons of liquor to serve to potential voters. He won.
Some not-so fun (facts):
- Nearly half of the country's eligible voters DON'T vote. About 100 million (or 43 percent), according to the Knight Foundation.
- Texas is even worse, Fair Vote reveals, ranking 48th among the 50 states and D.C. for voter turnout in 2016.
- But it's not just Texans. The U.S. actually trails most developed countries in voter turnout, the Pew Research Center found.
But we can change that.
And now the games:
Whether you early vote or head to the polls on November 3, once you do, fill out your card, and let us know if you got bingo. And check out our early voting guide here.