Bag Check: Hallie Vanderhider
If you don't know Hallie Vanderhider, chances are you've at least seen her. Equal parts social butterfly and philanthropic powerhouse, she might have even convinced you to donate to one of the many worthy causes she champions locally.
This month, that's the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women campaign, a national movement encouraging women to take charge of their heart health—about 1 in 3 die from heart disease in the U.S., the leading cause of death among women here. Vanderhider, who's chairing the 2019 campaign, is passionate about the cause as she's seen first-hand how high blood pressure can affect even the most "picture-perfect" people, she says, regardless of age, race, background, or wealth, and she believes education is the key to prevention.
A single mom for 28 years with an accomplished, 40-year career in O&G and finance, Vanderhider is the elusive example of "having it all." By day, she serves as managing director of a private equity firm; by night, she dons custom-made ball gowns to fundraise for education and the arts. Her board memberships and trustee positions run the gamut from the Rodeo to the Houston Ballet and Mays Business School at A&M to the Holocaust Museum. She's also earned a slew of accolades, being named a Woman of Distinction, Outstanding Woman in Finance, Texas Executive Woman of the Year, and—naturally—one of Houston's Best Dressed, among other honors.
Next Friday, May 17 Vanderhider will host the 15th annual Go Red for Women Luncheon at the Post Oak Hotel, and this year's event will feature a "purse-onality" auction of fabulous bags—with more fabulous items inside—donated by Vanderhider and other leading ladies in the community. Ahead of the event, we asked Vanderhider to spill her studded Prada tote just for us (spoiler alert: There's a bevy of beauty products). "Who doesn't love a Prada purse?" she says. "This one is the perfect size to fit all my favorite things, but not too big to carry around town."
- Jordan Alexander Go Red for Women Heart Necklace: I’m so excited about this necklace! Fifty percent of the proceeds go back to the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women movement, a personal passion of mine.
- PreHeels Spray: This spray is a must-have to prevent blisters during Paris Fashion Week when you're walking around all day.
- Soleil Phytoceramide Eye Cream: This is my absolute favorite eye cream because it’s made with all-natural ingredients and really helps my complexion.
- bareMinerals Matte Eye Shadow in Queen Phyllis: I love this eye shadow because it’s the perfect addition of glamour and shine.
- bareMinerals Mineral Veil Finishing Powder: This powder provides the ultimate finishing touch.
- bareMinerals Loose Powder Blush in Beauty: I love the soft and fresh look this blush gives me. It’s perfect for a spring day.
- bareMinerals Lash Domination Mascara: This is my absolute favorite mascara because it NEVER clumps!
- bareMinerals Flawless Application Face Brush: Just like the name says, this brush really helps complete the flawless look.
- bareMinerals Ready Luminizer: I love this luminizer for the soft glow and extra boost in radiance it adds to my complexion.
- bareMinerals Ready Eye Shadow in "The Late Show": “The Late Show" combo includes Guest Star and Uncensored shadows. It’s an extra punch of color plus a silky texture that I find to be perfect for a night on the town.
- Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream: I love this eye cream for its delicate and soothing feel.
- Bobbi Brown Face Blender Brush: This is my all-time favorite makeup brush. It’s crucial to getting the perfectly natural, smooth look.
- 2017 Pierre Archambault Sancerre: Because it' always good to have a white wine on hand when entertaining. This pairs perfectly with appetizers.
- Go Red for Women Luncheon Invitation: I'm passionate about Go Red for Women and encouraging women to focus on improving their heart health.
- Personal photo: This photo is me with my late dog, Natalie, at Tootsies, my absolute favorite place to shop. I’m sitting in front of the Oscar de la Renta sign, my all-time favorite brand.