Spring break. SXSW. Rodeos all over the state. It's understandable if you've been too busy enjoying the weather to keep tabs on everything going on in Houston food. Here's what's happening:
- Finn Hall is opening later this year downtown at 712 Main Street and this week we got a much better picture of what they’ll be offering in their “20,000 square feet of elevated culinary experiences.” Joining the previously announced Mala Sichuan are Goode Co. Tacqueria, Low Tide (seafood/raw bar from the team behind Harold’s Restaurant & Taproom), Dish Society and Mr. Nice Pie (a pizza spot from the team behind Love Buzz, among others). The only question now is “seriously, where do I eat first?”
- Joining Coral Sword and Tea + Victory in the world of board game-loving places to grab a drink is Wood For Sheep Brewing out in Katy at 6801 Hwy. Blvd. We think it’s safe to assume they’ll have copies of Settlers of Catan on hand when they open. (H/T Swamplot)
- You might remember Vietnamese chef Nikki Tran from the Houston episode of Netflix’s "Ugly Delicious." This week word comes that Tran is heading back to Houston to open up Kau Ba Saigon Kitchen, which will feature her “Viejun” cuisine highlighted on the show. Kau Ba opens later this year at 2502 Dunlavy Street. (H/T to Eater Houston)
- In the mood for authentic Hyderabadi eats? Biryani Bistro is in their soft opening phase over in Sugar Land, serving up onion pakora, special mutton fry biryani and gulab jamun. You can find them at 16100 Kensington. (H/T Houston Press)
- National Waffle Day is March 25, but Ouisie’s Table knows that waffles are too good a food to limit to just one day. On March 24 and 25, they’ll be celebrating with their traditional square waffle, chicken and waffles and a southwest waffle that features pico de gallo, guacamole and pulled pork. Can’t make it out to brunch? These waffles will be available for dinner as well.
- Coming to the Energy Corridor is a new spot focused on that most Canadian of dishes: poutine. There aren’t a ton of details about Tubs Poutine yet, but one day in the future you’ll be able to add crawfish poutine to your giant list of “crawfish variants you can get in Houston.” (H/T Eater Houston)
- Heading over to RodeoHouston this weekend to stuff yourself silly? If you end up partying just a little too hard with your boots on, Crown Royal has your back. If you live in the metro Houston area, you can save $10 on a Lyft with the code “CROWNRIDES.” This deal starts midnight early Saturday morning and lasts until 11:59 p.m. Sunday night for riders 21 and over. They plan on handing out $20,000 worth of ride vouchers through this promotion.
- Breckenridge Brewery is bringing a bit of their Colorado style to Houston next week for a series of events including an intimate show at Mucky Duck with Frank Turner; a beer dinner over at Hobbit Cafe; and a pub crawl and art show in Midtown. Get the full details of all the events over at their Breck Trek site.