The Astros have their rings, a cool front arrives on Friday, and road construction continues pretty much everywhere. Keep an umbrella in your car just in case you’re heading out to do things this weekend, or any weekend in Houston really. Here’s this week’s news:
- Just a friendly reminder that this would be a great weekend to start exploring the best tacos in the city.
- Bravey Chef Hall is welcoming a MasterChef to the fold. Christine Ha, also known as The Blind Cook, will be opening The Blind Goat at the space, which will focus on Nhau cuisine. (HT Chron.com)
- Blue Onyx Bistro recently entered its soft opening phase at 4720 Richmond Ave. Signature dishes include a 35-day House-Dried Aged Ribeye Steak, Chef Chang’s Special Sea Bass and Grouper and Bacon Wrapped Scallops. Lunch is being served from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and dinner service lasts until 10 p.m.
- If you’ve always dreamed of a restaurant centered on chicken salad–you do you, I’m not here to police your dreams–here’s some news that’s going to rock your world: Houston is getting a chicken salad joint. Chicken Salad Chick has its eyes set on Houston, and while details are few at the moment, here’s a peek at what their menu looks like in Texas. (HT Eater Houston)
- Taxes got you stressed? Once they’re all said and done, chill out on tax day with some free shaved ice from Kona Ice. On April 17, the truck will be out help everyone cool down; you can find them at Discovery Green from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and RE/MAX Inner Loop (2011 Leeland Street) from 12 to 2 p.m.
- There’s so much to check out at the Sugar Land Food & Wine Affair that we put together something to help you navigate the next few days.
- Rosé, whole roasted pig, and Pretty in Pink may not be a combination you’ve ever considered before, but they’re coming together at the next Courtyard Social at Brennan’s of Houston. On April 17 they’re hosting the Piggy n’ Pink Courtyard Social from 6-8 p.m. For $25 you’ll get two glasses of rosé and a meal featuring Whole Roasted Pig “Cochon de Lait.” How does Pretty in Pink fit in? Wear pink or an Andie-style hat and get a bonus glass of rosé.
- Remember a few months back when Yauatcha came in second at Truffle Masters 2018? They’re using the truffles they won to bring the Chocolate Truffle Delight to their menu for a limited time. How limited? You’ve only got until April 15 to try out the combination of caramelized truffle honey panna cotta, Guayaquil and truffle mousse, hazelnut feuilletine, and zephyr caramel cremeux.
- Peli Peli begins accepting mint condition prom dress donations at all their locations today. Do the teens of MD Anderson Cancer Center a solid so they can have a magical night.