Consider this another reason to sleep in on Sunday, January 20. The annual Chevron Houston Marathon will significantly reroute Inner Loop traffic from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. as a quarter million runners and spectators trot toward the finish line.
The weather outlook initially looked downright bleak, with hard freeze warnings and gusting winds. Now those predictions have been rolled back. Per our friends at Space City Weather, things will be chilly but not intolerable:
If you’re a cold-weather runner, conditions are looking increasingly ideal for the Houston Marathon, with start-line temperatures likely around 35 degrees, with perhaps a 10mph northerly wind. (This is much better than the forecasted 20mph wind of a couple days ago). Highs on Sunday should get up to around 50 degrees under mostly sunny skies, with winds slowly backing off.
Which is to say, bundle up and grab a pair of gloves if you plan on lining the streets and waving one of those always-hilarious signs of encouragement. Officials have compiled a list of the best places to watch all along the course here. ABC-13 will be carrying the race live on air and online from 7–10 a.m. if you, like us, don't plan on going outside that day.
Our best advice to avoid traffic delays is to rely on highways whenever possible. Here's the complete list of road closures in both map and list form:
- Congress from Crawford to Smith
- Smith from Congress to Franklin
- Franklin from Smith to Washington (all lanes except one westbound curb lane)
- Washington from Congress to Waugh (all lanes except one westbound curb lane from Franklin to Houston, and one eastbound curb lane from Studemont to Sawyer)
- Heights/Waugh (southbound) from Washington to West Gray
- West Gray/Inwood from Waugh to Kirby
- Kirby (northbound) from Inwood to San Felipe
- Kirby (southbound) from San Felipe to Bissonnet
- Bissonnet from Kirby to Montrose
- Mandell (southbound) from Bissonnet to Sunset
- Sunset from Mandell to Rice Blvd.
- Rice Blvd from Sunset to Greenbriar
- Greenbriar from Rice Blvd. to University Blvd.
- University Blvd. from Greenbriar to Weslayan
- Weslayan (from University to Bissonnet
- Weslayan (northbound) from Bissonnet to Westpark
- Westpark from Weslayan to S. Rice Blvd. (all lanes closed except one westbound lane from Newcastle to 610/59 northbound feeder road
- Loop 610 feeder (southbound) from Richmond to Westpark
- Post Oak Blvd. (northbound) from Richmond to San Felipe
- San Felipe (westbound) from Post Oak Blvd. to Tanglewood Rd.
- Tanglewood Rd. (northbound) from San Felipe to Chimney Rock Rd.
- Chimney Rock Rd. (northbound) from Tanglewood to Woodway Dr.
- Chimney Rock Rd. (southbound) from Woodway Dr. to Memorial Dr.
- Memorial Dr. (westbound) from Chimney Rock Rd. to Loop 610
- Memorial Dr. (eastbound) from Loop 610 to Shepherd
- Shepherd (all lanes under overpass) from Memorial Dr. to Allen Parkway
- Allen Parkway from Shepherd to Bagby
- Dallas from Allen Parkway to Bagby
- Bagby from Dallas to Lamar
- Lamar from Bagby to Avenida de las Americas
- Avenida de las Americas from Polk to Rusk
- Montrose from Bissonnet to Main/Mecom Fountain
- Main (southbound) from Mecom Fountain to Bissonnet
- Bissonnet (eastbound) from Main to Montrose
- Montrose (southbound) from Bissonnet to Dallas
- Montrose (northbound) from Dallas to Allen Parkway
The Chevron Houston Marathon takes place Sunday, January 20.