Discovery Green is bringing back ice skating for the 2020 holiday season. The downtown pocket park will open The Ice—powered by Green Mountain Energy—from November 13 to January 31, its first large-scale event since COVID-19 began.
As with years past, you can expect plenty of themed skate nights, but the popular opening fest, The Frostival, will be virtual. For those hoping to skate, here's what to expect year.
There are new safety measures in place:
- Tickets ($15) must be purchased in advance, beginning October 28 at discoverygreen.com/ice.
- Guests must have a pre-purchased ticket to enter the venue. Kids 12 and under may bring a parent/guardian, who can stay in a public viewing area.
- Staff and skaters will be required to wear a mask at all times. If a guest does not have a mask, one will be provided.
- The ice rink is restricted to 50-percent capacity.
- New venue changes now allow for social distancing while changing shoes and skates.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Staff procedures have been revised to allow for social distancing and monitoring. Equipment and touch points in the facility will be thoroughly sanitized at regularly scheduled intervals.
The schedule will operate much as usual:
The Ice will open 5–10 p.m. Monday–Thursday, 5–11 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday (and HISD School Holidays), and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m Sunday. It will also be open on holidays, too (full schedule here).
And, yes, your favorite theme nights are still happening:
- Cheap Skate Nights will be on Mondays (Nov 16 and 30; Dec 7 and 14; Jan 4, 11 and 25) and cost just $8 per person. Again, you'll have to pre-book a ticket.
- Skating with the Stars goes down on Tuesdays (Nov 17 and 24; Dec 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29; Jan 5, 12, 19 and 26) with Houston’s top figure skaters taking to the ice to perform demos.
- Music Trends Through the Decades with DJ Mohawk Steve happen on Wednesdays, so you can skate to old-school hits (even from the '40s and '50s), holiday tunes, or current Top 40, depending on the date.
- Skate with Santa from 7–8 p.m. on Thursday, Dec 3, 10, or 17, and from noon to 1 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
- Friday Night DJs will also crank out the jams from 7:20–10 p.m. for all those TGIF vibes, and on New Years Day from 3:30–6:30 p.m.
Head to discoverygreen.com/ice for tickets and more details.