It's Opening Day and the Houston Astros are the best team in baseball. Don't you just love the part of the season where no one is below .500 and everything seems possible? Me too. Here's some food news to check out while listening to the baseball world get up and running once again.
- The Ninfa Laurenzo Scholarship Fund is holding its first fundraising event, and it sounds like it’ll be something special. Taking place April 8, Tacos Over Texas will feature Houston chefs battling it out in a friendly taco creation competition. Taking place at The Original Ninfa’s on Navigation, guests will get a specialty taco from each chef, along with beer, margaritas and live music. The chef lineup includes Alex Padilla (The Original Ninfa's), Domenic Laurenzo (El Tiempo), Johnny Carrabba (Carrabba's), Robert Del Grande (Cafe Annie), Michael & David Cordua (Cordua Restaurants), Kiran Verma (Kiran's) and Greg Gatlin (Gatlin's BBQ). For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the event’s Eventbrite page.
- Sweet Paris and the Houston Food Bank are teaming up to fight childhood hunger. With their “Eat Here, Feed There” program, Sweet Paris will make a donation whenever customers purchase crepes designated with the Houston Food Bank logo on their menu–Allison’s Parfait, Truffled Caprese, and Lemon & Sugar. “We are fortunate to have partners like Sweet Paris who understand the importance of feeding others, and not just customers in their stores, but those they may never know or meet,” said Brian Greene, the president and CEO of Houston Food Bank, in a press release.
- Do you have room in your heart and stomach for another burger chain in Houston? Austin’s Hat Creek Burger Company is headed our way, with plans for four locations. You should see them start popping up early next year. (H/T Eater Houston)
- Speaking of burgers, the folks over at BuffBurger have opened their second location, this one located at 1540 West Alabama in Montrose. (H/T Houston Press)
- Is it possible to have too much of the best thing? Because the Houston Mac & Cheese Festival is back on April 7, and mac 'n' cheese is the best. Click here to find out more.
- Coming from the minds that brought you King’s BierHaus is a new breakfast concept, Egghaus Gourmet. It’ll be serving up King’s Kolaches, in addition to other breakfast eats. In a press release, Philipp Sitter said, “We wanted to bridge the gap between the concepts of ‘fast’ and ‘quality’ when it comes to breakfast by developing an experience that is equal parts prompt in service and elevated in flavor.” Egghaus is scheduled to open this summer, but you can get a preview on April 21 by heading to the kolache pop-up over at King’s BierHaus.
- Looking to raise a glass to freedom and whatever else you might be celebrating before heading over to catch Hamilton next month? Brennan’s of Houston will be offering a complimentary B-line Shuttle to the Hobby Center for any guests dining with them before catching the smash hit musical. Good news for those who find parking downtown to be an exercise in frustration. Give them a call to make your dinner and shuttle reservations.