Galveston Island, TX
Before you load up the car, take a moment to scan these “Insider Tips” from those in the know! Guaranteed, follow these tips, and you’re sure to have a tropical, Island-style vacation you won’t soon forget!
1. Watch a sunrise or sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.
2. Explore historic downtown, making your way to The Strand and Postoffice Street.
3. Ride the 16 attractions at Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, including the Iron Shark Rollercoaster and Gulf Rider.
4. Visit the three glass pyramids - Aquarium, Rainforest and Discovery - at Moody Gardens.
5. Cool down at the family-friendly Stewart Beach and go boogie-boarding in the Gulf.
6. Tour Bishop’s Palace, named one of the top 100 outstanding buildings in the U.S. by the American Institute of Architects, and gorgeous Moody Mansion, whose ornate designs must be seen to be believed.
7. Dine at the iconic Gaido’s Seafood Restaurant - don’t leave without trying the grilled shrimp and blue cheese grits or famous pecan pie.
8. Rent a bike from Island Bicycle Company and discover 40 or more Galveston Tree Sculptures.
9. Wander Pier 21’s museums, including the Ocean Star Drilling Rig Museum, Texas Seaport Museum and the 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA.
10. Look for dolphins at Pier 21, then take a harbor tour.
11. Catch a live show and tour The Grand 1894 Opera House. Shows will return in 2021.
12. Watch candy makers pull old-fashioned saltwater taffy at La King’s Confectionery.
13. Watch The Great Storm, a documentary on the 1900 hurricane, at the Pier 21 Theater.
14. Splash into Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark’s rivers, rides, slides and chutes. Get your 2021 season pass today.
15. Learn about locomotive history at the Galveston Railroad Museum or southwest history at The Bryan Museum.
16. Take an African American Historic Places tour to see remarkable monuments including the new Absolute Equality Mural by mural artist Reginald Adams, the African American Museum, Avenue L Missionary Baptist Church and Ashton Villa.
17. Take a haunted tour – any time of the year! Galveston is also home to the Historic Galveston Ghost Tours who offer Red Light District tours, Ghosts on The Strand tours and others year-round. The Galveston Experience Company also offers Ghost Bus Tours.
18. Visit Seawolf Park for some of the best fishing on the island, then journey inside its WWII submarine and Navy destroyer escort warship.
19. Kayak through Galveston Island State Park with Artist Boat’s tours, then take an art lesson.
20. Bird-watch at East End Lagoon Nature Preserve or 8 Mile Road to see some of the 300 species that reside in the area.
21. Buy fresh seafood at Katie’s Seafood Market or Sampson & Son’s Seafood on Pier 20.
22. Play golf at Moody Gardens Golf Course or Galveston Country Club, and make a weekend of it with a stay at Moody Gardens Hotel, Hotel Galvez & Spa or The San Luis Resort, all of which offer special golfing packages to guests.
23. Peruse the museum located on the fourth floor of the Rosenberg Library, the oldest public library in Texas.
24. Attend Mardi Gras! Galveston, the third largest celebration of its kind in the nation.
25. Save Up To 40% on Island Attractions with the Galveston Island Pass, you can select four or more participating attractions and save 40% off the retail price. Passes are valid 30 days after purchase.
If you haven’t been to Galveston lately, now is the perfect time to experience some of the island’s unique attractions – at a price you can’t refuse. The Galveston Island Pass is your key to adventure and savings while exploring the numerous attractions that make Galveston so special.
Plan your summer road trip at VisitGalveston.com